This cool math activity for kids is very simple, but a lot of fun. It only takes a minute or two to put together, and can be used for a variety of math skills. Here’s how to make it:
- You’ll need to gather a few Styrofoam cups with a lip. You’ll also need a Sharpie or other marker to write with. Colored Sharpies could be a lot of fun.
- Write the numbers 0-5 around the rim/lip of 2 cups and 0-10 on another.
- Write an addition and subtraction symbol on the edge of 1 cup, and an equals sign on another.
- Stack the cups. First, a 0-5 cup. Second, addition or subtraction symbols cup. Third, the other 0-5 cup. Fourth, the equals sign cup. Finally, the 0-10 cup.
- Spin the different cups to make true equations.
That’s the most simple version for beginning math. If you want to get more complicated for older grades, make these few changes.
- Write the numbers 0-9 on all of the numbered cups.
- Stack 2 number cups, addition or subtraction cup, 2 number cups, equals sign cup, and then 3 number cups. Mix it up however you need to to get the correct level for your kids and students.
You can also use this to practice multiplication and division. Make the adjustments to the cups to give yourself the correct answer combinations.
Math can be so fun and interactive. Enjoy this cool math activity for kids.