Oatmeal Breakfast Bars are a healthy, filling, and absolutely delicious! With peanut butter, banana, honey, and oatmeal, these yummy bars will keep your family powered for hours. These breakfast bars are easy to make, can be frozen for up to four months, and are great for snacks too.
YIELD: 8 large bars
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOK TIME: 35 minutes
TOTAL TIME: 45 minutes
- 2 cups oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk (I used unsweetened vanilla almond, but any kind will do nicely)
- 3 tablespoons honey*
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter (creamy or crunchy—I used natural creamy)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 medium banana, quartered and diced
Place rack in the center reheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly coat an 8×8 inch square pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the oats, whole wheat flour, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. In a separate large bowl, combine the milk, applesauce, egg, honey, peanut butter, and vanilla.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet mixture and stir to combine . The batter will be very wet. Fold in the diced banana, then pour into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until thickened and golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool, cut into bars, and serve.
*As the recipe is written, these bars are very lightly sweet. If you prefer a sweeter bar, increase the honey to 4-5 tablespoons.
Storage: Once cooled, bars can be wrapped individually in plastic and kept in the refrigerator for 5 days or frozen in a zip-top bag for up to 4 months. Let thaw in the refrigerator for 24-48 hours before serving. For a larger yield, increase the ingredient quantities by 1.5 and bakes in a 9×13 inch pan for 25-30 minutes.
Nutritional Information: Servings: 1 (of 8) | Calories: 210 | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 407mg | Carbohydrates: 37g | Sugar: 10g | Fiber: 5g | Protein: 7g